If you have an android phone, you might agree that there are times when it just misbehaves, and one of the many ways of correcting the problem is by clearing the data cache and cookies on android. Cached files are great for optimizing performance and reducing game lag, but they eventually become a nuisance and slow down the system performance when you don’t clear them. From time to time, you will need to clear cache in android for your phone app, google chrome, and system, and even for your Chrome browser or any other browser.
Yet, you might have many questions about clearing cache on android, including whether this is harmful if it has any benefits, and how often you need to do it. You might also want to know if failing to clear data may create security threats. This article is your informant; it answers every question you might have to know about clearing Android phone cache in 2022, whether it is in apps, systems, or google chrome browser.
You will get the detailed step-by-step procedures for clearing cached data on Android. Here is all you need to know about cached files and clearing them; keep reading the write-up.
What Does Clearing Cache Mean on an Android Phone?
The first thing you need to understand what is cache data files on an Android phone. These are temporary files that build up whenever you use an app or a google chrome browser. They are junk files that the app or the browser uses to optimize performance.
They are like reminders for human beings. In a way, cached data files help apps remember what they did previously so that if the user wants to repeat the same course of action, it takes a relatively short time and resources. Games, apps, and browsers have cached files that help them optimize performance.
What Is The Benefit of Clearing The Cache?
Since most games, apps, and browsers all have cached files, you may likely wonder what purpose they play in the apps and why they should be there in the first place. The following are the main reasons browsers and apps have to keep cached files;
- Cached files save the apps time when reloading data
- Cached files are great for optimizing system performance
- With cached files, app utilization is more efficient
- Cached files help the device provide the user with a smooth experience, especially when the images and web pages can load faster
Why Is Important To Clear The Cache on Android?
Despite cached files helping optimize Android system performance, they may delay performance and turn out to be a nuisance. For instance;
- Having too much cache data or cookies may slow down system performance. Instead of helping the app perform fast, they will stand in their way, making them perform slowly
- Cached data may pose security and privacy threat, mostly in theory. Often, cached data contains private information, especially if you logged into your email or other accounts and sites. As such, when the data is intact and unauthorized people get it, you may lose your data to them and comprise the data integrity, which happens to many, especially in this era when cyberbullying has taken roots in society.
- Clear cache data may slow down android system updates. There are times when you make updates in your apps or browsers but do not see them actualized, even after confirmation that the changes were made. The main reason for this is that the browser or the app could still be serving the cached files, which you will have to delete to see the changes affected.
- Cached files may corrupt the device. This is not to say that cached files are spyware, but the truth is that when it accumulates, it becomes corrupted and interferes with performance. In such cases, you will have to clear them to do away with the corruption and device misbehaviors.
- Too many cached files may compromise your storage, especially if you have a cache in almost every app. As such, you might have to clear cached data and have your device perform as it would before the cached files are filled up.
Does Clearing Cache Improve Performance?
Is your phone overheating or misbehaving? Maybe it is about that time when you need to clear cached files and get your iPhone or Android phone performing as it sued to in the past before things started going faulty.
If you see your phone complain about storage issues and you realize that you no longer can enjoy the smooth operations you were enjoying before, it could be that its cache memory is filled.
Of course, in other instances, you might have to delete apps to create spaces, but clearing cached data, especially for files and apps whose cached files take up massive storage, might just be enough to clear the storage issue.
Besides, apps might load slowly at fast after clearing cached files, but ultimately, the data builds up again, and you can increase the performance like never before.
How to Clear App Cache in Android?
Do you have an android device and want to optimize its performance by clearing its cached data? It is a simple process that will not cost you anything. Here are the step-by-step guides to clear the app cache on android in 2022;
- On the main menu of your device, go to Settings
- Under Settings, access the apps or storage Option, depending on the model of your phone
- From apps, proceed to manage apps
- Select the app whose cached data you want to clear
- Click on it
- Confirm the cache clearing step by clicking on Clear Cache
NB; often, apps are arranged based on alphabetical letters. However, if you want to solve storage issues and optimize the performance of an Android phone that is misbehaving because of cached data, you might have to select the apps by size and delete the Android cache files for applications that consume the most space. As such, you proceed as follows;
- On the main menu, locate the Settings app
- On Settings, get the Storage or Device Storage option
- Locate the Apps or Applications option
- On the three-dot menu on the right corner of the page, tick the box for ‘sort by size’
- The apps will be arranged in descending order; with the one consuming the largest space on cached data at the top and others follow
- Click on the app whose cached data you want to clear
- Select Clear Cache under the app’s info page
- Repeat the process for all the apps that take up significant space with cached files
What Happens When You Clear Data Files on Android?
Although you might have cleared cached data and files on your android device in 2022, you might not understand what happens, especially because the internet is filled with a lot of information, which can be misleading in some instances. Here are what happens when you clear cache on android;
- The Android phone gets a lot of storage space cleared up, so you might go the clearing cached data route to solve temporary storage issues
- The apps might be slow at fast as they are trying to build up cached, but they will pick up eventually
- The images, cookies, and web pages that are around will no longer be there, but they will build up with time
Can Clearing Cache Cause Problems?
As mentioned, the internet is filled with information, and sometimes, it becomes challenging to separate the chaff from the wheat. Sometimes, it is perceived that clearing cache data is harmful to your Android phone, which is not always the case. Here are things clearing cached data will not do to your phone;
- Lose your browser’s bookmarks
- Lost your logins unless you tick the option for things to happen this way
- Lose your games progress
Can I Clear Cached Data All At Once on Android?
Many are the times when people have asked us if they can clear cached data on android at once. The answer is a no; you cannot clear cached data for the whole device all at once. With a modern Android phone, you have to go step-by-step and clear the cache for individual apps instead of all the applications at once.
In the steps above, you select the app whose data you want to eliminate and perform cache clearing. However, there are exceptions, especially if you have older phones.
This would allow the user to clear the cache on android, but the latest OS does not have this feature. To clear the cache on older phones, you would have to proceed as follows;
- Access Settings from the main menu
- On the Settings menu, go to Storage
- All apps are marked at this point, and all you have to do is confirm clearing Android cache data for all apps by clicking OK on the pop-up that appears on the screen
How To Clear System Cache on Android?
There is a time when you have to clear the cache for the Android system. As with clearing cache for individual apps, the process is not complicated, and it only takes a few seconds. Proceed as follows to clear cached data on the system
- Go to the menu and select Settings
- Proceed to about phone
- Instead of clicking Apps or Applications, choose storage
- Click free up storage space or use deep clean to confirm the action
- Close all running apps and Back up Android data that you think is crucial for you.
- Turn off the phone.
- While in this state, press Volume Up + Power Button until the android logo appears
- On the device recovery window, select the Wipe Device Content using the Volume Down button
- Let the device reset, hopefully solving the bugs caused by the hacking process
When Should You Clear System Cache on Android?
As with clearing cache on individual apps on an android device, you might have to clear the system cache. This is especially necessary when the phone misbehaves after clearing cached data on individual apps.
Clearing system Android cache also works to solve storage issues, so if your device keeps complaining of storage problems, it might be time to clear the System Cache.
How to Clear Cache on Google Chrome?
Like any smartphone device, you have to clear the cache and cookies on browsers like Google Chrome to optimize the performance of your Android phone. People log into accounts and sites that have their private information, and you need to clear the cache occasionally to eliminate this information.
So that when unauthorized users get access to the computer, you will not risk having your private information leaked out. Moreover, as with android devices, having too much-cached data may slow down the operation of Google Chrome or any command line such as content://com.android.browser.home/, making it necessary to clear the cache from time to time.
Besides, if you perform an update and want the information to actualize, you will need to clear the google chrome cache for one site or all websites. There are times when you make important changes on your browser, but because Google Chrome is still serving cached data, the changes will not be reflected.
If your primary browser is Google Chrome and it won’t stop misbehaving, you will have to clear the chrome cache on your Android phone and see if it performs better henceforth. To clear android cache data and cookies in Google Chrome is a simple process entailing the following processes;
- On the top right corner of your browser
- Locate the three-dot menu
- Click on History
- Proceed to Clear browsing data
- Confirm the action to clear your Google Chrome cache
All the cached files are cleared, but they build up automatically. You can also click CTRL + SHIFT + DEL in succession to clear cached data. A new window opens, taking you to the page for deleting cached files, and you confirm the action as in above.
Should You Clear Cached Data Regularly?
You may want to do so regularly after seeing the value of clearing Android cache data. In fact, you might even think about having a routine to clear cached files, say every week.
However, remember the purpose to clear cache data files; they optimize Android system performance by acting as reminders to the apps and Google Chrome browser so that when you have to revisit a page or redo an action, it does not have to load the information afresh.
As such, clearing data regularly will slow down the optimization. Besides, the phone has an in-built system to clear cache data files on Android when they notice that the files and the data are no longer in use. As such, you need not delete cached files on android regularly, except when need be, such as when;
- The Android phone hangs or misbehaves
- The device won’t load some apps as it should
- When you are running out of storage space
Cached data on Android are temporary junk files that build up when you play games, use apps, or visit web pages on a browser. They are designed to optimize performance and provide a smooth experience by loading the pages and information the user previously used. However, when they build up over time, they may become a nuisance and corrupt, causing the device to misbehave or apps to hang
Clearing the cached files will help solve the issues on your device or machine. This write-up details all you need to know about how to clear the cache on android phones such as apps, systems data files, and Google Chrome, and the steps to do so. Also detailed is the implication of clearing cached files and the benefits.